Family Sponsorship Immigration Program

Canada allows citizens and permanent residents to sponsor spouses, parents, grandparents and dependent children

Happy sponsorship immigration clients

When your family member also becomes a permanent resident, they can live, study and work in Canada.

There are two different processes for sponsoring your family under the Family Class. One process is used for sponsoring your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner and/or dependent children. Another process is used to sponsor eligible relatives, such as parents, grandparents, siblings and other extended family members.

Sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent child

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) recognizes marriage from any foreign jurisdiction, which means that if you got married in your home country you can submit your translated marriage certificate for Canadian sponsorship immigration application. Actually, while in Canada, people can get married regardless of their residency status. Contact us for more information.

Sponsor your parents and grandparents

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor your parents or grandparents, to become permanent residents under the Family Class. Parents and grandparents may also be eligible to visit Canada for up to two years at a time under the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa. Contact us for more information.

Sponsor your adopted children and other eligible relatives

Under the Family Class you can sponsor:

  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
  • accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Important Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your relative. You are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek social assistance from the government.

You may not be eligible to sponsor a relative if you:

  • Failed to provide the financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
  • Defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
  • Received government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • Were convicted of a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence—depending on circumstances, such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada), was issued
  • Defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
  • Are in prison or
  • Have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Other factors not mentioned in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor a relative. The best way to start your Sponsorship process is to contact us for initial interview that will be conducted online or in-person.

Related video presentation:
Wedding band video thumbnail
Canadian PR in 10 weeks